[stylist] rollerball cane tips

Robert Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Sun Nov 16 14:56:16 UTC 2008

Jim

You had a couple of questions- First, "....mother of blind child asked about
carbon fiber solid (nonfolding) canes.  what do you think of those?..."
They are good, I've used one in the past. I don't use it now. My thoughts
are this- first it is stiff and I am not use to that. The stiffness may not
be a bad thing, but  it felt different enough that I felt ... That it was
not my most favorite. (someone could get use to that difference.) Again, the
stiffness changed how it vibrates and how it sounds. And the kicker for me
about not buying another, is that it breaks just as easy as a fiberglass
cane, but costs much more. And so after a couple of months of use it did get
broken and I didn't replace it. (I bet I do not have to replace a cane ...
Not every year. More times than not, the car door is what will break mine.)

I do have a 12 year old boy that I work with. And for a while he was using a
folding carbon fiber and after he broke the fourth one, his parents stopped
buying them. (They cost something like $35.00)

The second question- Was about a book on the history of the blind using
canes. And I'm thinking someone could do a search on that and see if it has
been done. Otherwise, that would be an interesting doc to read.

Robert Leslie Newman
Email- newmanrl at cox.net
THOUGHT PROVOKER Website-
Http://www.thoughtprovoker.info