[stylist] would it?

John Lee Clark johnlee at clarktouch.com
Thu Apr 2 03:15:12 UTC 2009

Judith:

I didn't say that the blind community should be your primary social
responsibility.  Ii asked a rhetorical question in response to your defense
of blind people who, for whatever reasons, refuse to have anything to do
with blindness or the blind community even though we have collectively
helped them succeed.  I asked what about your social responsibility to the
blind community?

In your previous message, you seem to support blind people who neglect their
social responsibility to the blind community.  I did not discuss whether or
not they should have this as their primary social responsibility.  What I
asked about was about whether or not they have this AT ALL, whether it is
primary or not.

If I did say anything about anything being primary, it is about identity.  I
do believe that it is great to have one's blindness play a central role in
one's identity.  I am convinced that it is the best way to go beyond
blindness--by going anywhere you want, doing anything you want WITH your
blindness.  In other words, by having blindness in such an important place
in one's identity, blindness becomes default, becomes an integral part of
the whole and complete person, and when blindness is taken like this, the
person will succeed more at emerging more immediately as a human being and
blindness becomes an non-issue faster than if you held blindness at arm's
length or tried to go around it without touching it or tried to repress the
fact.

John

Checked by AVG.
6:06 AM