[stylist] using borrowed words?

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat May 2 18:54:54 UTC 2009

The advantage of using a familiar word and its connotations to express a
concept in fantasy is to marry the familiar to the unfamiliar.  Rowling's
use of the word "squib" is just that.  In fmost of its connotations, a squib
is a dud, a non-starter, doesn't do what it is supposed to do, no dang good,
etc.

So the reader has an instant reference to the connotations of the
HP-specific, new use of the word "squib."  I'm terribly impressed at how
well JKR uses that tool throughout the series.  The reader can experience
and wonder at the newness of the world she is showing us without having to
stop and wonder what the heck?  Also without a lot of dialog or tedious
explanation as to what the person who said something about ubergooshes is
talking about.  /smile/

Of course, youo have several options.  Use the same principle with a
different word; use that word to capture a similar connotation in the
context of your magical world; or make up your own word.  Whichever you
decide, I have the impression you will know how to make it work.  I'm
getting a kick out of hearing your thoughts and questions.  /smile/

One of my favorite series (the final book may or may not come out in a few
months; the thing is stinkin' long!) is heavy with invented words for oodles
and oodles of magical beings and concepts and more.  Names do not draw on
the old familiar patterns, either.  I envy the well of creativity, but I
finally had to sit down and make notes on everything even after I read the
glossary at the end of every book, just to I could get a grip on who was
what and which was whom and what's up, anyway?  /grin/  I had a clue, but I
knew I was missing a wealth of underlying texture.  It was way cool once I
got it all straight by treating it like a class project somewhere around the
end of Book 5...  I've had to do some of that again every couple of volumes,
just because I love all that texture and creativity and the view into a very
well constructed and complex world.  Every now and then I get all excited
and motivated to really get down to business and try to match that author's
world-building genius.  Then I realize just how much effort and energy that
would take and decide to do my own world my own way and just appreciate his.
/smile/

I'm getting really excited to read your book!

Tami Smith-Kinney