[stylist] DBG 7 (completely new chapter)

LoriStay at aol.com LoriStay at aol.com
Wed Sep 16 14:51:46 UTC 2009

Well, maybe few families of this sort.   Sometimes they are made families
through adoption, or like one of my chapter members, whose children are
blind, as she is, through a hereditary condition.   But we are talking about
fiction, which has to be structured so as to focus on one or two main
characters.   That is the biggest problem here.   Who are the main characters?   The
witch mother?   Nadia?   The child living with the dragon?   The dragon
itself?   If this is a civilization run by dragons, we need to see more dragons.
 And knowing humans, we need to see more resentment of any creature that
presumes itself superior to humans.
Also, it is important to define the character of the magic used.   For
example, when I write a magical character, the reader is aware that the
character can shield out magic of other magical creatures, but not all the time, and
some are stronger than others.   Also, what are the limits of magic?   Are
the people shape shifters?   Can they alter material reality?   Is it all
illusion?   You need to answer these questions for yourself so you have a firm
basis for the magic in the story.  If there is no structure, then the non
magical characters cannot win and the major dramatic question is answered.
If the major dramatic question is answered too early, the reader will stop
reading, and the tension of the story is lost.   (This is more important in
romances and mysteries, but it seems to me that it also applies to science
fiction, because sci fi is usually a cowboy story writ large.)
Lori