[stylist] opinions on my essay, included in this email

Anita Adkins aadkins7 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 24 23:29:15 UTC 2010

Hello,

Thanks for the response.  Just FYI, a nontraditional student is a student
who is above a certain age, and I also believe there is another reason one
might be considered a nontraditional student, even if one is of the normal
college age, but I cannot remember the exact situation for this.  I am 33
years of age, and that makes me a nontraditional student.  When I say I
received an excellent academic education at the school for the blind, I am
simply refering to English, Science, Reading, History and that sort of thing
as opposed to actual classes that taught me alternative techniques of
blindness.  I did learn and use Braille consistently while in school, and as
I said in the essay, I was introduced to a cane.  I had approximately three
years of O&M training as far as I can remember, one of those in third grade
and the other two as a junior and senior.  In my opinion, I should have been
in cane travel class during the entire time.  I did learn some skills at the
school, such as how to cook macaroni and how too vacuum a floor, however,
and I am greatful for this.  However, I have taught myself many of my own
alternative techniques, such as travelling independently.  I placed those in
different paragraphs because I did not want to make it seem that the school
was responsible for my not learning and becoming comfortable with
alternative techniques until after adulthood as I am sure the blame could be
spread around all over the place.  I say I need to learn more of them
because I am weak in areas, such as independent living, because I did not
attend actual classes for these.  I learned some skills while growing up and
while at the school; I learned some stuff, such as extensive use of
assistive technology, including using various screenreaders due to the
necessarity for a webtesting job, etc.; I learned other techniques as a
result of experimenting and experience.  Still, I need to learn more
techniques in some areas, mainly travel and IL.

Again, I want to thank all for responses, and please do not be offended if I
do not answer all emails because I do not want to clutter the list in order
to do so.  Anita