[stylist] Songwriting

BDM lists at braddunsemusic.com
Tue Sep 7 13:56:41 UTC 2010

Joe,

I am a performing songwriter, as are at least one other person on
list there. As far as lyrics go for songwriting, poetry while
similar, isn't a lyric for a number of reasons. Often times they can
be altered to be a lyric. So yes you can take your poems and put them
to music but very likely not as they are now. As for melody and
muisic. You don't have to put it on paper as it were. I have none of
my music on paper as it were. I will put a chord chart together which
is basically chords over the tops of the lyrics which is pretty
standard in the indie world and even professionals in Nashville. Not
however if you are scoring out a piano piece  for a recital or
orchestral type thing to be played  note for note. I couldn't tell
you how to do that as I don't know Braile Music Notation. One can, if
knowledgeable in theory, can  score out chords to match a melody like
Beethoven did, or one can, like most do, apply chords by "feel" to
the melody.  I write 90% of the time with an instrument starting with
chords and melody and then go for words based off the feel of the
music.  I'll say on the other side of the coin, that nearly all my
co-writing has been done by applying music and melody to words
already written which sometimes requier slight altering to  flush out
consistency and etc. Words as well, if you listen carefully when
spoken in natural voice, have a certain melody to them which can be
used as well. It is both fun and exploritory to just match a melody
to certain chords and you'll find it can generate different types of
feeling or harmonies within it. Just experiment some with it if you
have a melody in your head. If you can't sing and play at the same
time, record your melody and try to put chords to it when you play it
back. There is no right or wrong way, it is what works for you.

There are many books and resources out there on songwriting. If you
go to my website at

http://www.braddunsemusic.com

Then click on the songwriting link, there's an html file with various
resources about songwriting.

If you have any other questions just let me know. Glad to help anyway I can.

Brad

At 08:32 AM 9/7/2010, you wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>I'm glad Marion came out of the woodwork when he did.  I have a question he,
>and hopefully others, will be able to answer.  How does one get started with
>songwriting?  I play piano by ear as a hobby but have no idea how I could
>translate my own invented melodies to paper, nor how to make others hear my
>poetry in the melodies I've arranged in my head.  Does one need to know
>music notation to succeed at this?  Thanks for any help, and Priscilla, oh
>dear peer pressure that you are, I am working out some kinks in my novel
>before it is worthy of your reading.
>
>Best,
>
>Joe
>
>"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves,
>some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all."--Sam Ewing

>signature database 5431 (20100907) __________

>http://www.eset.com

Brad Dunse

Instead of waiting out the storm, learn to dance in the rain

E Mail: brad at braddunsemusic.com

Website: http://www.braddunsemusic.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1464323555

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/braddunse