[stylist] Book discussion/review forum

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 6 22:32:33 UTC 2011

Eve,

Again I ask, if Stylist is meant only for posting our own written work
and/or providing feedback on that work, why isn't it happening on a
consistent basis? And I've never seen any writing from you. Perhaps if
this is what Stylist is meant for, thos of you against a book
discussion/review should post the type of material appropriate for
Stylist.

And I also ask, how is reading published work and discussing it in an
analytical way, have nothing to do with writing? Any good author will
tell you, if you're not writing, you should be reading. In my classes,
we read a ton of published work and discussed it in-depthly along with
writing manuscripts. True writers understand the importance of reading
published work.

And all those opposed to a book discussion and review on Stylist, why do
you care so much? First, as I've already pointed out, many of you keep
posting about how terrible this idea is and why it has no place on
Stylist, and yet I don't see most of you posting the very material you
claim is appropriate for Stylist. Second, if you don't want to
participate in a thread, don't participate. Thirdly, how is the on-going
debate contributing to writing in any way? At least a book discussion
and book review would stimulate a thread on how to write, what works and
doesn't work in a book, how can we apply what we learn in our own
writing, providing recommendations for us to check out. This current,
seemingly never-ending, thread in no way helps us with writing.

So, other than some might be annoyed by it, how does a book discussion,
or reviews on books, have nothing to do with writing, or contribute to
us as writers?

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: