[stylist] Eve, Christmas spirit story

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Sat Dec 10 22:59:43 UTC 2011

Hi Eve,

First of all, I use Jaws version 10 (I'm 3 versions behind) but mine says
'misses' and not m r s period. Does it do it in your email as well, or just
notepad?

I just read through your story twice. The first thing that jumped out at me
is that you use Mrs. Haderly, impressed and    inspiration over and over
again. I imagine I'm not the first or last to point this out. I also imagine
it was intentional, although I'm not sure why. The second thing that jumped
out at me was the thought - why aren't the neighbors helping out their 80
year old neighbor?

I'm thinking that the theme of this piece is isolation, which can be
especially painful during the holiday season. However, I'm not sure this
story, written this way, successfully conveys that. The first problem, in my
opinion, is that the story is all 'telling'. Remember the writer's first
rule: show don't tell. Of course, you can't show all the time, but in this
piece you rarely show. Secondly, the repetition gets tedious, and honestly,
I bet most people wouldn't even finish the story if they came across it in a
newspaper or magazine.

However, I commend you for tackling a difficult topic, and I think this
piece could be rewritten in a way that really works. I suggest keeping the
omniscient point of view, but make it more personal, and show us in scenes.
Use Mrs. Haderrly, along with she, her, the old woman, etc...in paragraphs
which show her doing the tasks. By doing this, you can show us the
difficulty she has, which makes the neighbors unhelpfulness obvious without
stating it. You have some really nice details--the ornaments, the wreath,
the garland--show her putting them up, wincing as her arthritis kicks in,
worrying about falling as Mr. Connors and Mrs. Campos (be specific, not the
generic 'neighbors', because names, especially with a visual/audio/olfactory
detail, make people more real to us) walk by. Through dialogue they might
say 'Wow--you're amazing, Mrs. H' or words to that effect. Mr. Conner could
say to Mrs. Campos, 'Can you believe that old bird still puts lights up
every year. God bless her...' but they don't stop to help. You might add a
neighbor across the street scolding his son/daughter for not helping him  to
decorate, saying something like, "Do you know what Christmas spirit is?
Don't you want to help?" - although even that might be too obvious.

One final note--watch out for the passive voice. An active voice makes for
better reading. For example, you wrote: Mrs. Haderly would wrap the posts of
her porch with garlands and holly. Better: Mrs. Haderly wrapped the posts of
her porch with garland and holly.

Of course, these are just my thoughts on how I might try to make your piece
better. Hopefully one or two rang true to you. Ultimately, it's your piece
and you can write it as you wish.

Thanks for sharing,

chris