[stylist] Mother's Day Poem feedback

Brad Dunsé lists at braddunsemusic.com
Fri Dec 23 03:25:05 UTC 2011

Barbara,

The metaphor of this poem came from an email I
read years back. You  know those cutsie little
heartstring one's  you tend to just throw out
that are capped off with "Send this to everyone
you know" or some such thing.  You know the ones
that are the absolute truth as well? 'grin'.  The
story was about fire fighters out in
Yellowstone  how upon fighting the fire ran
across a fire ravaged area and saw an image of a
bird with its wings partially out that was
nothing left but ash. One guy kind of touched it
with his toe and the cremated remains of the
mother crumbled to the ground, and under the
wings were a couple live chicks. I sometimes keep
those cutsie things for writing  ideas but I
don't have the actual email anymore. Here's the Snopes article on it though.

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/birdwing.asp

Brad

On 12/22/2011  02:54 PM Barbara Hammel said...

I like the allegory? of how a mother's protection
is just like how a bird takes care of her
young.  Since it's about a bird, the sing-song
quality is nice because it makes you think of the
rhythm and cadence of a bird song. (Of course, I
write--so therefore like--this kind of poetry.)
Barbara Let every nation know whether it wishes
us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear
any burden, meet any hardship, support any
friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the
survival and the success of liberty.--John F.
Kennedy -----Original Message----- From:
BradDunsé Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:48
AM To: Writer's Division Mailing List Subject:
[stylist] Mother's Day Poem feedback Lori's email
forward on poetry, reminded me of a Mother's Day
poem I wrote a while back now, not that I'll
enter it now, perhaps something down the road if
not too cheesy a sing-song poem.  Her post just
made me think  of it and thought to toss it out
for comments. If I don't get back to  thanking or
answering anything  in your  comments right off,
dont' fret, I eventually will. Pasted below. If
you need an attachment let me know.  Rated G.
Wings of a Mother Mother Eagle builds a home from
a twig tangled nest Shelters her baby's deenies
her own rest Protects them from danger when it
lurks in their midst Risking her own life 'til
the threat is dismissed When danger has past,
only then she'll uncover Her babies' protection
from the wings of a mother She grooms their
survival with maturing of feathers Each day more
slack in their invisible tether Soon they'll
climb up on the nests' narrow rim Spread out
their wings behold an Eaglet cherubim She'll
teach them to fly, they'lll flit and they'll
flutter 'Neath guided directions of the wings of
a Mother One day she'll notice they're dressed in
full plume The next day her nest echoes with
plenty of room Across the thick trees, some
distance from home She'll watch as more twigs
twist into a throne With pride and raised
feathers, she will discover The tireless success
of the wings of a Mother With love and respect,
and pride like no other I still find comfort
under the wings of you Mother ©2008 Brad Dunse
Brad Dunsé "A bone to the dog is not charity.
Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you
are just as hungry as the dog." --Jack London
http://www.braddunsemusic.com
http://www.facebook.com/braddunse
http://www.twitter.com/braddunse
http://www.nfb-writers-division.net
<http://www.nfb-writers-division.org/> stylist
To unsubscribe, change your list options or get
your account info for stylist:
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/poetlori8%40msn.com
http://www.nfb-writers-division.net
<http://www.nfb-writers-division.org/> stylist
To unsubscribe, change your list options or get
your account info for stylist:
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/lists%40braddunsemusic.com
</x-flowed>

Brad Duns?r>
"The frst thgn they teach you  n humble wrting s
to keep focus off yourself by removing all the 's.
  Don't know does  t work for you?" --Capt'n Frank

http://www.braddunsemusic.com

http://www.facebook.com/braddunse

http://www.twitter.com/braddunse

Brad Dunsé