[stylist] Story of hoodlums

James H. "Jim" Canaday M.A. N6YR n6yr at sunflower.com
Mon Jan 10 00:30:58 UTC 2011

Bridgit,
thank you very much.  I do know the value of showing instead of
telling.  as I noted, this was already 728 words.  I worked over the
scene by the braggadocious hoodlums show vs tell.  whatever I could
come up with was going to add more words it seemed.  I did wish for
more show for such a strong emotion as fear, but tried with the "bit
his lip" and "seely" in his green eyes as he persisted.
Sean's interruption is described, just the description is across
three places including at the end.   as to the in laid  floor and the
mud, etc., again I felt I could've shown better but would have meant
more words.  I thought generally these exercises should be in the
500-words length and I was already well over that.
I seem to have a congenital problem with writing anything 500-words
or shorter, lol!

thank you for your criticism.  and I did rather like how I started the story.

in answer to your previous post: we need to use common
style/display/formatting instead of specializing for our own use.  my
point was that as a reader a small transition such as "at police
headquarters"  ... but then it sounds like we're back in 1900's san
francisco again, lol!
just a small transitional phrase helps, I think.

thanks Bridgit.
jc