[stylist] The tragic shooting of Gabrielle Giffords

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 01:41:54 UTC 2011

Judith,

Was it not you who advocated we not share writing samples with adult content
on the list last year?  I mean, so long as we're talking about what may or
may not offend people...  I mean, come on.  Your frustrations with people's
reactions had nothing to do with editorial feedback but rather with a
difference in views.  I think it's because you never meant for the piece to
be critiqued but rather meant for the piece to be an expression of your
opinions.  I'm totally fine with freedom of expression, and as I've said
before, I agree with your position.  However, there was no need for the
concluding lines of your post below.  It's not that the dialogue on this
list needs to be relegated to bubble gum status.  It's just that: first,
there's a separate list dedicated to random chatter; and second, there's a
certain expectation by subscribers that the discussion will concentrate on
technique and not general reactions in the wake of major events.  Otherwise,
I'd be more than glad to very explicitly share my thoughts on abortion and
claim I am merely using the list as a writing feedback forum.  I hope my
comments are taken in the spirit of constructive criticism they are meant.

Regards,

Joe