[stylist] Off-Topic Discussions

Neil Butters neil.butters at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 7 15:56:45 UTC 2011

Hello,

I would like to address the use of this mailing list for off-topic discussions, such as the recent NYC Blind Vendors postings and other non-writing related topics.

Shouldn't this list be restricted to writing topics only? I'm getting a little bit tired of being flooded with off-topic back-and-forths, political commentary, arguments and the like that belong elsewhere. Does anyone else feel the same way? Shouldn't these posts be discouraged, or am I missing the point of this list.?

One way we could deal with it, if people want such off-topic diatribe to continue, would be to include the "Off-topic" designation in the subject to tell readers that the post has nothing to do with writing. This doesn't really solve the "problem," though, since we could still receive many off-topic messages.

Neil