[stylist] Canes and Dogs

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu May 12 06:34:56 UTC 2011

Judith,

You miss the point of Marion's comments.  You said that if a restaurant
told you your guide dog is not suppose to be in their establishment that
you apologize and promise to not bring it next time.

As pointed out, this is illegal.  No public establishments , including
restaurants, have any right to deny a guide dog unless it poses a
threat.

So, in your example, the restaurant was verbally saying the dog is not
allowed.

Based on this, you can replace denying a service animal with an ethnic
group.

If you are denied access to a public place because of your ethnicity,
that establishment would be breaking the law.  Just like if they deny
access to a guide dog.

I fail to see the confusion.  Either way, the establishment is
discriminating and denying entrance to a person, which in this country
is illegal.

True, a guide dog owner has the choice to take or not take their dog,
but regardless of this, no public place can legally deny a guide dog,
just like they can not deny service due to race, religion, gender,
sexual orientation or ethnicity.

Bridgit

Message: 11