[stylist] major rewrite

Brenda bjnite at windstream.net
Thu Oct 27 17:29:24 UTC 2011

     Hi again List

I did a major rewrite.  the only reason I'm sending it again is in case
someone is taking the time to read an older version.  I will not make a
habit of this.  I am learning how to handle submitting and also nuts and
bolts like my no spaces after periods issue which may be somewhat
solved.  Also, as a result of my goal of developing my writing skills, I
am seriously considering enrolling in the Hadley Braille course and
probably the punctuation course.  This is a direct result of my contact
with this list.

Below is my rewrite - please disregard if I am being tedious/annoying.
I just wanted to save someone from reading an older version.Getting the
Halloween Candy
Halloween was only three days away and we had no candy.  What is the use
of buying a bunch of candy when it will probably be raining and no
trick-or-treaters will show up, I thought.    My husband, who on most
days avoided the rain, braved the downpour and headed for the car.
Seizing the chance to get out from behind the computer I grabbed my
raincoat and headed out the door before he could pull out of the driveway.

"God is great and beer is good and people are crazy" drowned out the
pounding drops on the roof of the   car.  Not very Halloweenish, but I
never have heard The Monster mash on a country station.

My husband parked the car, and we dodged puddles as we made our way into
the store.

"Maybe we should get some beer."  I said to my husband as we entered the
store.

"We're here to get candy for the trick-or-treaters."  He said drying his
glasses.

We really need to get some beer or maybe just listen to the song by
Billy Currington again, I decided.

Smells of rotisserie chicken and baked goods filled the air and my mouth
began to water.  Moving my white cane from one side to the other, I
followed the blur ahead of me to the candy isle at the other end of the
store before my stomach could wake up and growl.

Then I heard it, the unmistakable sound of peanut brittle calling me.
Seeing little more than the bright lights in the store and the blur of
shelves, I began to turn first right, and then left, listening as the
sound got louder and louder.  Feeling a chill as other shoppers left the
store, I stopped to zip my coat and turned right in hot pursuit of the
peanut brittle.  Back and forth went my cane like a windshield wiper
protecting me from carts and store displays.

The smell of peanuts joined the shouting of PEANUT BRITTLE, PEANUT
BRITTLE and my mouth began to water and my stomach growled as I found my
prize.  Holding the plastic box carefully, I walked to a center isle
near the checkout line where my husband could spot me.

"Where'd you go?"  I turned around and you weren't anywhere to be found."

"The peanut brittle was calling me and I had to get some. I got it for
us to snack on while we hand out the trick-or-treat candy."

We proceeded to the checkout line and out into the drizzle in search of
our car.

"Hurry up and turn on the heat." I said shaking the peanut brittle as I
shivered.

My husband dumped the  three bags of Tootsie Rolls in the back seat and
closed the door.

"Only if you give me some peanut brittle."

The smell of fresh peanuts filled the car as we crunched the sugary
bark.  By the time we arrived at home, the box was half full, and only
crumbs remained by the next day.
On Halloween night, we handed out candy to a steady stream of
trick-or-treaters until there were no more tootsie rolls.  It was a good
thing we ate all of the peanut brittle because there was no time for
munching  and no leftover candy to snack on.