[stylist] Humor excersize submission, dark humor, short play

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Tue Apr 3 15:27:27 UTC 2012

Hey Bernadetta,

This is a dark comedy, indeed. There's really no other label. I have a
feeling I'm going to be thinking about his for the rest of the day. I can't
honestly say I loved it, not because the writing wasn't good, but just
because of the nature of the piece. I mean, a baby gets stolen, twice, and
while it may have wound up in a better home than the first one (we'll never
know), it's still not a happy tale.

How did your professor react to your writing in dialect? In general, I would
warn people away from this. It's hard to do unless you are Mark Twain, and
I'd leave it up to the actress. Having said that, you seem to do a fairly
good job with it. I have to admit I'm also a little uncomfortable with the
portrayal of the poor, ignorant Alabama redneck. Sure, I'm certain there are
a lot of ignorant Alabama rednecks out there. But, it's still a bit of a
stereotype. Yes, Faulkner and       Flannery O'Connor used them for their
bread and butter, but they were Southerners and wrote in a time when that
was more acceptable.

I certainly didn't see the plot twist coming, and I'm a fan of believable,
surprise endings. All in all, a good read. Thanks for sharing.

chris