[stylist] New submission untitled

Bernadetta Pracon bernadetta_pracon at samobile.net
Sat Apr 7 19:38:59 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,
Once again, thank you very much to those of you who have commented on
my piece. I've been thinking of ways to revise it for some time now,
and thanks to you all, I have more to go on when I take up the task of
improving it. Most of all, I am happy that those of you who commented
seemed to be moved by this piece. My ultimate goal with every piece I
write is to get my readers to feel. They could feel elation,
excitement, disgust, discomfort, outrage--anything, as long as the
particular piece evokes some sort of emotion. That, in my book, makes
the piece worthy of my further attention.
Barbara, thanks for reminding me about labeling a piece as explicit if
it's content is filled with strong language, etc. I did mean to include
a note about that when I submitted this piece, but I forgot--I only
realized I hadn't done so after sending it. I'll keep that in mind for
any other submissions though.
Chris, thanks so much for taking the time to provide me with examples
of the kind of internal dialogue you think I should ad. Your idea of
changing the POV to that of either of the parents is interesting. When
I wrote this piece, the way I envisioned it was through a camera lens,
if you all know what I mean. I meant for it to show what was
happening--I meant for the reader to be a spectator of the sceen,
because for some reason it resonated more with me for this particular
piece, rather than narration. I will challenge myself though, and try
to write this piece over twice, once in each parent's POV. I'm going to
do that as an exercise and see where I end up. Personally, though, like
Bridget, I don't think that this piece would benefit much from a lot of
internal dialogue. I do tend to think it can bog down a story. I've
been turned off of reading more than a few books because the author
used too much ID for my liking. As a reader, I am a fan of being free
to decipher the characters' emotions myself, through the context of the
story, through it's actions and dialogue. So perhaps the stylistic
preference for this piece was influenced by the reader in me. As I said
though, I will try writing it from different viewpoints, just to see
what happens to the story, how it can change.
Bridget, I will try to ad more scenery to develop and expand this piece
as you suggested. It's funny you should mention the idea of writing the
last part in the waitress's POV--It actually crossed my mind as I was
finishing it, but I never quite figured out how to transition into that
smoothly enough. Perhaps that's also something I will try.
I just came up with an interesting idea--What do you all think of me
trying to write the piece from the POV of the little girl? I think that
might make it really interesting in some ways, but I'm afraid it might
weaken the piece in general. Maybe I'll try that too, though.
Vejas, your comments made me think of what I'd do if I were to use this
piece as part of a longer story or a novel. Perhaps this could be a
neat little prologue--I'll have to see if I could come up with a strong
enough premise for a novel or a novela. For me, if I were reading it,
it would have to evolve into something a lot more interesting than just
a harsh mom abandoning a child and making the man into a single dad.
Once again, thank you all very much. It's a pleasure sharing my work with you.

Sincerely,

Bernadetta P