[stylist] Anotating books

Andi adrianne.dempsey at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 20:12:33 UTC 2012

Bridgit
Thanks.
I love history and it is part of my double major, but I never get enough of
it.  I am one of those odd balls that actually got excited when a research
paper was assigned especially if it was a new topic or one I didn't know
much about.  I love pretty much all historical knowledge from all cultures
and places but I to have had a fondness for Irish... Well Irish everything.
My next book will follow three people a sister and brother and another boy.
It will start when they are children and follow them through their lives.
It will start with the brother and sister losing their father to a house
fire started by an angry landlord.  The brother and sister will stick
together while trying to survive on the cold damp streets of Ireland.
Eventually they are fortunate to be taken in by a pub owner.  They are so
relieved to have food in their stomach's and a warm place to sleep that they
work like slaves for the man who rescued them not out of kindness  but out
of greed for almost free labor.  The owner turns out to be interested in the
maturing sister and when the brother who is now older and no longer the
scrawny boy he was defends his sister, he is arrested.  He is sent as a
teenager to work on a British naval ship this time a true slave.  The sister
is stuck with the vile pub owner until by accident she meets a boy her age,
befriends him  and gains the courage to leave.  The book will follow his
life from childhood as well up to this point however their stories do not
intertwine until this point.  His story is one not often told when looking
at the history of Ireland, for he and his family live and work in the
workhouses implemented and growing in population and shrinking in space
because of the Famine.  Eventually they will take the dangerous journey to
North America.  At some point their story will rejoin with her brothers in
their new "home."  America will present a hole knew set of struggles for the
some what uneasy trio.  The book will show the perspectives of each of the
three main characters back and forth as the book goes.
     Sorry for the description but it is going to be a long book and span
many years so this description sounds jumbled.  My main goal with this book
besides making an interesting story is to explore some of the things that is
often overlooked when we learn about this time in Irish history.  Some of
the familiar components are their, but generally you don't hear about the
work houses or the ship slaves or even much about the upper class such as
people who would be able to afford a nights lodging at a pub/hotel of sorts.
There is more to this book and I don't know how to explain it all in a short
message.  I am sorry for the length of this message.  This book is on the
back burner at the moment for the book I am riding now, which takes place
much much much much earlier in history and in a different part of the world.
What do you think from the little detail I have shared about this Irish
historical novel?  Does it sound at all interesting or worth writing?  I
hope to also include details about the secret schools and other things that
will ring true of Irish culture.

Andi

Andi