[stylist] Comments on external description exercise

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 30 18:10:29 UTC 2012

Chris,

Thanks. You followed the exercise just fine, and it was quite good. I
typically don't include name brands into my descriptions unless it
serves a purpose, which for this it did. I wanted to show a scene where
life's luxuries were important to the people along with contrasting how
my main character looked compared to her oblivious attitude with what
was around her. Depending on the story and intention, sometimes using a
brand can be more descriptive than just saying an expensive shirt. In
particular, this scene was meant to display the wealth of a modern
setting. I didn't want to just state these people had money and image
was crucial to them, but I wanted to detail it with specific examples.

I see your point though, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend using
brands for a description unless it's very intentional and serves a
purpose.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: