[stylist] Comments on Eve's sharing lesson post

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 6 20:39:42 UTC 2012

What Eve demonstrates is an example of the author having credibility,
but you also have to consider if knowing certain information is
pertinent to the story.

What Vonnegut is saying is that each sentence, each piece of dialogue,
each description should drive the story forward or reveal something
about a character. If you're describing Yellowstone in great detail just
to describe it but it has nothing to do with the plot, it's unnecessary
information, according to Vonnegut. If, however, the geography is
important to the story and/or character development, then you will want
in-depth details of setting.

This is not to say you don't describe setting at all, but each word must
be present only to further the plot or develop characters.

This is extremely important with dialogue. Dialogue is only used to move
the plot along or for character development. Anything else is just
fluff. In Eve's example, if knowing something about Burger King is
important to the plot or the development of a character, then it can be
left alone. If it has nothing to do with either plot of character
development, it's text that can be cut. Though info as displayed by Eve
may show the author knows about the place or subject, lending them
credibility, if it has nothing to do with plot or characters, it doesn't
matter.

This contemporary standard of fiction writing takes a minimalist
approach to writing. You still want to retain great, detailed sensory
descriptions but only if pertinent to the story at hand. You want
readers invested in the main arc and not extra material that may be nice
in description and show the author has knowledge of the subject, but
have nothing to do with the over-all story.

Though I agree with this concept of writing, it's not my original
opinion. I'm simply discussing what writers like Vonnegut have already
put in motion in terms of contemporary writing. This is what he means
when stating, "Every sentence must do one of two things-reveal character
or advance the action."

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan

Message: 4