[stylist] Self publishing, Book Share etc

P. Campbell pcampbell16 at verizon.net
Mon Dec 31 11:16:32 UTC 2012

Good Morning all,

Self publishing has changed I could almost say dramatically with the growing popularity of the ebook.  Years ago there was definitely a stigma attached to self publishing through the so-called vanity presses.  It had its place especially for specialized topics that would never be picked up by the conventional publishers.  After all, they, too, are in the business of making money, and couldn't afford to go to the expense of publishing and marketing a title that would appeal to a small readership.

Sad to say that in those days a self published book in one's list of writing credits often turned publishers and/or editors off, unless again, it was a special interest title.  Also the writer was required to put out a lot of money, and then often found her/himself with hundreds of books to somehow sell or give away.

This has changed with the coming of the ebook market, giving the unpublished writer an opportunity to put their work out there without mortgaging one's home, and without filling said home with books.

Would I, personally, put out a lot of money just to say I've sold a book?  No, but if one has the money, and publishing means that much, go for it.  Would I put out a bit of money for services such as cover design that I can't do myself?  Yes.

So here are the advantages of the ebook, at least for me.  They appear on the market long before one becomes senile, or one's heirs will enjoy the royalties.  Royalties are much higher than with conventional publishers that may pay an advance.  The book will sink or swim on its own merit, not the whim or personal preference of editors.

For me the greatest disadvantage has been that I must furnish all of the publicity where the regular publishers do this.  I admit freely that I have difficulty promoting myself, and that at present with my husband's illness I lack the time and the energy.

Would I publish another ebook?  Yes.  Will I abandon the regular publishers?  No.  I'm working on a book now, and will send out queries.

The bottom line.  Do your research, and then decide what best suits you, your book and your goals.

Phyllis