[stylist] Memoirs and autobiographies

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 3 22:31:00 UTC 2012

Linda,

Memoirs are not "Lies based on a truth." Memoirs are actual, real-life
occurrences but often told in a more creative way. Nothing is "made-up"
in a memoir, though many memoirist, especially nowadays, use literary
techniques like dialogue, imagery and metaphor plus rely on descriptive
language to tell those real-life events.

And both memoirs and autobiographies are told from the authors
perspective; only biographies are written accounts about people and
things from the perspective of another person. The two nonfiction genres
differ in that autobiographies tend to be linear, meaning I was born, I
lived doing stuff and then I settled into my life sort of story .
Memoirs tend to focus on a single moment or topic in a person's life as
opposed to their entire life. Both are written by the person who
experienced that life or those events. Memoir may use conjecture as
well, but it is still the author's point of view.

And even when using literary devices such as dialogue, metaphor or
playing with format and structure, the story is still real; not a
fictionalized account of real things, but actually about the real
things.

Some great memoirs to check out are Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong
Kingston, available on BARD
Naked by David Sedaris, available on Audible, and I have an electronic
copy if anyone would like to have it
The Truth Book by Joy Castro, not sure if available in accessible
format, I had book and scanned
Nine Parts of Desire by Geraldine Brooks, available on BARD (more
literary journalism, but can also qualify as a memoir)

A good autobiography to check out is Pat Benitar's book, available on
BARD, and President Obama's, also available on BARD

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan