[stylist] song submissions

Brad Dunsé lists at braddunsemusic.com
Wed Mar 7 20:21:22 UTC 2012

Vejas,

I looked at one of these, the runaway one.

There are several things that come to mind
looking at your lyric, but let's start with form.
Songs, though they’ve had many form structures
over the years, have settled today to:

• Verse-chorus

• Verse-chorus with a bridge

• Verse-verse-verse

• Verse-verse-bridge-verse.

In any song with a chorus, the title is in it,
often times twice or more but at least once.

One thing to watch out for in rhyme is forced rhyme. Stuff like:

I stand here at the flag
My feet feel like slag

Slag has nothing to do with it and stands out,
unless it is validated later in the song somehow.

I’d suggest to organize your thoughts in a VCVC
format, putting the title in the chorus, of
course you’ll have to write a chorus. Writing a
dad song from a 15-year olds perspective might be
kind of hard to have a believable perspective.
For instance, if my little girl ran away? I’d be
searching the neighborhood, calling friends to
look, and if possible calling the authorities :).

There is tons of songwriting stuff on the net,
including my quick tips on Muses Muse. The last
one is below and you can look for archived ones as well.

http://www.musesmuse.com/15.0-March2012.html#FeaturedArticle

Hope that helps.

Brad

On 3/5/2012  07:51 PM vejas said...