[stylist] Jackie, about the form used for my poem Interpretations

KajunCutie926 at aol.com KajunCutie926 at aol.com
Thu May 24 19:41:34 UTC 2012

Thank you so much Jackie!  The form is as a said  a nonce form I made up
one day using the simple tercet.  What makes this a  bit different is that I
let the third line of the tercet flow into the first  line of the next
tercet.  You can use as many tercets as you wish as long  as the flow pattern of
third line flowing into first line is followed all the  way through.  The
line lengths are not restricted and it is not metered but  that is an option
that is left to the individual writer. I have found however  that keeping the
line lengths somewhat consistent, without too great a  variation, helps the
flow of the poem.  You may have a line of ten  syllables, then eight, and
then perhaps nine.  As I said this is up to the  writer.  I added another
wrinkle recently in that after the last stanza you  may add a one or two line
envoi.  I have this form 'tumbling  tercets'.  I do not know if anyone had
done it quite this way before  although, of course, tercets are very common.  I
will share another using  an envoi to demonstrate what that is all about.
Thank you so much for your  questions and interest in the form.  I like it
because it has that little  bit of structure while allowing me to write in
free verse.

Myrna