[stylist] PDF

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Tue Nov 13 14:23:57 UTC 2012

Well you are close.  Tagging actually identifies the structure of a
document, graphics, and the like and labels them so screen readers
and other technology know what they are and how to deal with them.

At a broader level, a PDF can contain either text, or the image of a
page.  It is the image type that is inaccessible.  OCR must be done
on it to yield text.

Whether the PDF contains text or images depends on the source
document and the program used to produce the PDF itself.

An untagged PDF can contain text, and depending on the complexity of
the document may be quite readable, or understandable, or confusing.

Hope this makes sense.

Dave