[stylist] William the Conqueror; some thoughts to ponder

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Tue Nov 13 16:42:47 UTC 2012

Bill,
I think you hit on a really good point in you short piece. The "name" itself
is a power name. You know, there are some names that evoke a feeling of
power, just to say the word. William is  one of those names.  It is a
warrior name, a ruler, a prince, a conqueror, and Type A man!

My father's name is William!

Your piece led me to begin to think about the meanings that come to my mind
when I say that name. I began to think of it yesterday when I was sifting
through photos of my father because I wanted to post some of him in honor of
Veteran's Day. He was a veteran of WWII, served with Pattons forces in
Europe, and was in the third wave at the Battle of the Bulge.

Then, I thought about other William's who immediately came to my mind - and
all of them were power people, too.

 I first thought about etymological elements of the name:
It is Willahelm - in German:  To break down this name you look at the two
parts of it.

 Will (means to desire)  and Helm (means a Helmet)

Will desires a helmet. Now that is power - you think of why a man would
desire a helmet. You have the image of a warrior located within that name.

Very quickly other Williams come to mind:

William Gellome:  8th Century Norman, cousin of Charlemagne - he became a
monk. I think of this man because I used to lecture on Charlemagne and the
rise of monasticism in Europe.  I have traveled to Aachen and stood beside
Charlemagne's throne, overlooking the floor of his amazing chapel and
palace. POWER.

 There are other Williams throughout history and in contemporary
literature - so many of them. Some of my own favorite poets and philosophers
are named William.

William Burroughs;

William Blake;

William Wordsworth

William Shakespeare

William Jennings Bryant

Billy the Kid

William Shatner

Williams Carlos Williams (my MAN!)

Yes, you can think of yourself surrounded and in the company of strong and
powerful men, William.

Why not!

Since I have begun seriously thinking about writing a series of vignettes on
my memories I am going to tuck away these ideas for use when I begin to work
on my father's life.

Lynda