[stylist] Robert's gratitude submission

Jacqueline Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Tue Nov 27 17:39:20 UTC 2012

Robert,
I found this  to be a good clarification of what mentoring is and what can
be accomplished. It is particularly pertinent for me, at age 83, in that it
describes perfectly how I open my front door with it's security door, and
listen carefully. I seldom let on that I am blind before being sure of whom
I am talking to.
The white cane remark might have been superfluous if the woman was totally
blind. Another small detail is that, in pouring something hot into a cup, I
don't think one pokes the entire finger into the cup. It is more the tip of
the finger over the edge far enough to keep it from over-filling.
I remember, my first experience was in pouring orange juice into a glass
which was upside down. At that point, I'd had no instruction in anything.

Also, I did not know that mentoring involved just one with more experience
than the mentee. I thought there had to be a tested level of expertise.
Also, I would have liked it if the girls had touched the older woman's face
and throat to actually feel the wrinkles since so much of blindness is the
tactual experience.
I do not believe that you explained the vision loss of the younger girls.
Was it severe, total in either case? You did a good job of explaining the
macular degeneration of the older woman.
I am so glad you have this thought-provoker series. It did, indeed, make me
think about mentoring, and it pointed out the mutual learning that happens
in any mentoring situation.
I thank you for your work.
Jacqui