[stylist] To ponder- to take to another level

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 10 18:06:45 UTC 2013

Lynda,

I have a similar situation that happened yesterday at a hair salon. I
went to my hair dresser, and the salon was pretty crowded. Before going
to her chair, I went to the back of the salon to se the restroom. As I
traveled back, the entire room went silent, as though I had no clue what
was happening. I turned to one group and gave a little wave, and my
stylist, who I have known for years, said they waved back, but
everyone's expressions were as though they had no clue as what to do or
think.

I lost my sight at 22 after having been totally sighted. For all intense
and purposes, I'm totally blind- just light perception. At the time, I
was a vocal performance major and theatre minor at university. I have
danced since I was able to walk, and I enjoy things like fashion,
decorating and make-up.

When I lost my vision, I didn't lose my interest or my personality. My
closest friends assumed I was no longer interested in many of my
favorite interests and hobbies. They didn't think I would enjoy movies
or the theatre or shopping. Many stopped calling because they thought we
would no longer have anything in common.

Well... I have never stopped being interested in these things, nor have
I stopped pursuing them. As you said, I have had to adapt to doing
things with different tools and methods at times, but I still find ways
in which to enjoy my interests and hobbies.

Like you, having been sighted first, I dream as a sighted person. Even
when I'm suppose to be blind in a dream, I still "see" my dreams and
even "act" sighted despite that I'm suppose to be blind in the dream.

I have always had a vivid imagination and visualize everything and
anything. I still have visual memories even when I didn't actually see
things. I was blind when I married my husband, yet I have a head full of
visual memories of the day as though I could see, and oddly enough, a
lot of my memories are more accurate than not. I'm not implying I have
some sixth sense or spidey senses, but my ability to collect information
nonvisually and visualize it in my mind, is apparently acting on some
level allowing me to more accurately depict something in my mind. This
happens when I watch films or TV even when not described; I'll have a
recollection of a scene even though I don't actually see what I'm
watching, and when I discuss a visual medium with people, they will be
surprised with my depiction of it.

I still go into situations able to visualize what I want and how things
should look. During a theatre project I was involved in my second round
of university, I had to direct a scene. I knew exactly how I wanted the
set, how the actors should move, what the lighting should look like,
etc. When I have special events, I often know what type of out-fit I'm
looking for and how I want my hair and make-up to look. Since having
Declan, I don't wear much make-up, but since losing my sight, I never
stopped using make-up or applying it myself.

During my PR internship, I was very active with the design team when
creating logos and graphics and other visual elements. Yes I may need to
rely on someone else's description, but I can still participate and
provide an opinion, and that's what I did.

There's a lot of other examples I could give, but you get my point. I'm
not saying it's always a breeze, or that sight wouldn't be more
convenient at times, but society so often assumes that disabled people,
particularly blind people, are so different from the rest of the world.
We couldn't simply enjoy things like sighted people do. That it's
amazing we do anything at all. Having grown accustomed to one way of
life, it's been an adjustment for me as a blind person. Not because I
had to learn new ways of doing things, but because I'm the same person
but get treated differently now. The NFB has the saying that the most
difficult part of blindness isn't blindness itself but how other people
view blindness, well, I completely identify with this assessment.

So I say all this to demonstrate what I mean when I say I'm still a
visual person. Visual, to an extent, is a relative term as it turns out.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style
Read my blog at:

"If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can
satisfy, we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for
another world."
C. S. Lewis

Message: 4