[stylist] Brown winter poem

Jacobson, Shawn D Shawn.D.Jacobson at hud.gov
Tue Feb 12 15:00:37 UTC 2013

Thank you all for commenting on my poem for the writing exercise.

Chris-I know where you are coming from with your two feet of snow.  I have fond (ha ha) memories of snowmageddon when we got four feet in two weeks.  Shoveling out was an all-day (really a multi-day) job.  We have pictures of my son and I shoveling snow onto piles that were as tall as he is.

As for November being a fall month (not winter) that is the point.  The calendar says it is winter, but things are brown and bleak like November so it seems like November is going on and on (long after it should depart.  Actually, in Iowa, November is cold and bleak but it isn't close enough to the Holidays to get the good Xhristmas snow.  So it is cold without being warmed by Christmas cheer.

My real gripe with winters in the mid-Atlantic area is that they tend to be cold, dark, and bleak like winter, but you don't get the snow to put you in the wintery mood.  The season should either be green (as in Florida) or White (as in Pennsylvania or Iowa) not this in-between brown that we have this year.

Anyway, thanks for your comments.  I love writing for you.

Shawn Jacobson
Mathematical Statistician
Phone# (202)-475-8759
Fax# (202)-485-0275