[stylist] January monthly lesson: creative nonfiction

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 7 20:26:51 UTC 2013

Chris,

The term creative nonfiction started getting bandied about in the late
60's, but it's actually been a style of writing for much, much longer.
In most programs, you will study writers like Thoreau, Hemingway and
Gertrude Stein. No one was necessarily considering some of these works
as a "fourth genre" of sorts at the time, but they are now recognized
under the current definition of creative nonfiction. Of course Hunter S.
Thompson is definitely another one too. His approach is usually
considered literary journalism, which is definitely a part of creative
nonfiction.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style
Read my blog at:

"If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can
satisfy, we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for
another world."
C. S. Lewis

Message: 2