[stylist] Formatting e-books

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Sun Jun 23 23:40:45 UTC 2013

Hi Justin,
Smashwords has .rtf versions, and they work on Victor Reader Stream &
Booksense. I use Booksense, and you just download the file to the Documents
folder. Some people are using Apple products with their Voice Over speech
synthesizer or the NFB Blio Reader, and they would buy the .epub version.
There is a Kindle for PC program with a screen reader for the text of the
book itself, which is free and works with Jaws, and if you're comfortable
with that, you'd get the .mobi version. There is an accessible .pdf, and
other than the Table of Contents which repeats itself, it works very nicely,
including the "go to page" feature. It takes a long time to load, however. I
never read a whole book on Open Book, but since it reads .pdf, txt and .rtf
files, you'd have a choice. I don't recommend the .txt version, because
although it works on almost everything, it doesn't have any formatting.
HTH,
Donna