[stylist] be warned kind of creepy

Jacobson, Shawn D Shawn.D.Jacobson at hud.gov
Fri Mar 29 13:25:50 UTC 2013

Kyle

I found this poem engaging (my mind keeps getting drawn to it).  As it stands, this piece is rough as a cobb, but it could be a truly magnificent piece with enough work.  I pulses with dark spirituality, and thus has its own bleak grandeur.

This will take work however.  Part of the problem is that spiritual/supernatural things tend to express themselves in a language all their own and it can be damned hard, no pun intended, to translate into earthly language.  I would work on continuity (they're falling, they're in a room, kids are being told to play at noon, kids are being told to mind their manners.  The piece jumped around for me somewhat.

Also, think about weaving the language of torment into the narrator's situation.  "Hell" and "jail" tell you that the narrator is not in a place you want to be; but they're also on a shore.  What kind of a shore is it?  Is it a fiery show, a dismal shore, a cold and lonely shore?  You may not reach people fully because a lot of the pain and horror of the situation is implied.

Also, I wasn't sure whether you were talking about ghosts (lost human souls) or demons (fallen angels); you may want to take this in different directions depending on who the narrator is.  For instance, I get the sense of a brotherhood of spirits in the first stanza, but I don't think you would have that with demons.  C. S. Lewis in "The Screwtape Letters" gives a good idea of what demons might be like.  I also thought of "Ghost Riders in the Sky" when I read this.

One more thing, be warned that you are treading through theology with this poem and that can be dangerous ground.  Some professional Christians might read this as a belief in salvation by works and get themselves tied into knots about that.  This would not detract from the greatness that this poem could be.

Anyway, good luck and keep working on this.

Shawn