[stylist] a horror story for halloween

Vejas alpineimagination at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 23:31:19 UTC 2013

Hi all,
For Haloween, in my creative writing class we're doing horror
stories.  I wrote one, and I got an a on it.  I'd like to share
it here.  Any opinions welcome.
I feel like something is missing in this story.  I had to present
it to my class, and my goal was to get at least 1 or 2 people to
cry but nobody did.  Is there something more I could add to it?
It's attached and pasted below.
America's Dysfunctionalist Family

    Welcome to "America's Dysfunctionalist Families." Today we
present to you only one family.  None of the other families came
even close.  So the award goes to'' the Masons of Orlando,
Florida.  Let's give a hand to the Masons for their family! Just
kidding.  They really don't deserve to be awarded for anything.
One more thing before I begin telling you about them: if you're
looking for a good laugh, please turn your TV set off right this
instant because there is nothing laughable, unless you have a
twisted sense of humor.  If you're looking for a good cry, you'll
find it here.  Regardless, you'll have something to talk to your
friends about.  Now I begin the story.
      Betty and Tennyson Mason had always wanted children.  I
would think that any young couple would.  After years and years
of fertility treatment, Betty fell pregnant at last.  First there
were twins, but they lived only a few hours, and then the next
year came quadruplets, who lived a few minutes each.  She could
never carry past 6 months.
But the third time was different.  The third time, after 9
straight months, they were very thrilled when a healthy boy came
out.
"We're going to name him Betten," his father said.  "Like our
names combined.  What do you think?"
"Yes!" his mother answered.  "Betten Mason, you are the sweetest
boy alive."
    Before I will tell you about Betten, I'll stop for a bit and
tell you about his parents.  Before she'd married, Betten's
mother had been a con tatoo artist.  She would tell teenagers
that she was giving them henna, but they were actually permanent
tattoos.  Tennyson was a failed rapper all the way up to Betten's
birth.  He was most known and most hated for his song "Curse My
Life", and I know that songs often have swear words in them but
this one was known for having the most.  He basically took every
word there was and found ways to rhyme them.  I won't bother with
it; look it up on You-Tube on your own time if you feel like
wasting an hour.
      When he was growing up, Betten was spoiled.  Betty and
Tennyson allowed Betten to have any toy he wanted, and the Masons
brought Disneyworld passes every year.  Even though they lived 55
minutes away, they always took their son after work.  Every
single day of the year his mother made his favorite strawberry
jam cake.  This cake used to be meant only for his birthday, but
after he turned 5, he asked her sweetly, "Mommy, can I have do
cake every day?"
"Of COURSE!" she told him.
She wasn't joking either.  Betty had waited this long to become a
mother, and the smile on his face always made her glow.  She no
longer bothered with teens and tattoos.  Tennyson released the
song "Bless my Life", though of course nobody took it seriously
after his first song.  The fact that it was only 30 minutes long
while the first one was an hour long shows that Tennyson never
really got over himself.
       On Betten's first day of kindergarten, Betty made her
son's strawberry cake with one extra layer.  She had what she
thought was a perfect shirt for him.  It was anti-religious
because neither Betty nor her husband believed in anything.  It
was just the right size and it said I AM NOT CHRISTIAN.  Betty
added some words to the shirt with a smile.  It now said, I AM
NOT CHRISTIAN I am BETTEN.  WILL YOU PLAY WITH ME? in large block
letters.
        Betten himself didn't feel overprotected.  He had never
been exposed to people his age before.  He thought that all
children ate strawberry cake every day for breakfast and that all
children could get all of the toys that they wanted.  His life
was perfect for him until he reached school.  All of the other
mothers left their children after kissing them good-bye, but
Betty stayed.  When the teacher, Mrs.  Korral, said that they had
to try to think of a list of 10 animals, Betty wrote them all
down for him without even asking Betten what he knew.  At first
Mrs.  Korral thought that she was just helping him.  But when she
called Betten up, the boy obligingly strode up to the front, his
shirt showing.
"You have beautiful handwriting, Betten!" she said, surprised