[stylist] Chris and William, RE: Poem - "Magician"

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 29 19:03:01 UTC 2014

Chris,

Sometimes we feel stupid or embarrassed to say we don't understand
something, but I don't think anyone should ever feel this way. If you
don't understand material, you don't understand it, and for anyone to
judge or belittle, it says more about that person than the one
courageous enough to ask questions and be forthright and say they don't
understand it.

I agree that during an open discussion you can learn so much. In my
workshop classes during university, I felt I grasped text much better
after a group discussion even when I got the point of a given piece.
Discussions help bring clarity and allow for new thought for both reader
and author.

As the writer, we often get frustrated when readers don't get what we
meant. We defend and over-state what we meant, but perhaps we need to
take comments and suggestions and find where we can make clearer and
precise.

I don't know how many have seen the film Saving Mr. Banks, but the
reaction Travers has about Disney's interpretation of her series is
actually quite common among writers. We know what it means, we had an
intention, a purpose, and when others don't see it, we are frustrated,
disappointed and even hurt. We need to be open to what others see in our
work though, in my opinion. No one else is inside our heads, viewing our
thoughts and writing process. When readers don't get there, we can't be
quick to to declare them fools or even be surprised. Sometimes readers
have little to suggest that's helpful, but sometimes, we need that
feedback to grow as writers and make our work better.

So here's to open discussion that's non-judgmental, grin.

Bridgit