[stylist] That Look: It's not what you think

Bridgit Pollpeter via stylist stylist at nfbnet.org
Sun May 25 01:11:51 UTC 2014

Nothing wrong being the person holding the cane. My husband and I, who
is also blind, go to the market on our own, either using a store
employee or friend to help locate items. We either walk back home or if
purchasing a lot, take a cab, if not with friend/family member. We
Braille our list, and the only reason it might take us longer is if the
person helping locate items has a problem finding it. With our cane, we
know where to go, and get there without much issue. If people give us
looks of pity, that's there problem. Usually our son charms the pants
off people though, grin.

I wasn't always blind, losing my vision at 22. I don't have time for
people's pity or self-pity. Do I wish I had sight back? Sure, doesn't
stop me from living my life, moving forward, going about business. Ross
and I both have university degrees; he works full-time; I'm a
stay-at-home mom. We manage our house and family like anyone else. We
enjoy being outside, exercising, going to the theatre and movies, taking
kids to the park. I cook, Ross does yard work... Blindness hasn't kept
us from living life, and it hasn't been a huge obstacle. In fact, for
me, the biggest obstacle I've encountered since losing my vision has
been the attitudes and perceptions others believe and insist upon me.

We all learn and adapt in our own way, in our own time, but we make a
choice to either accept the reality and do what we can to adjust, or we
choose to wallow, losing more than our physical vision. Not everything
will come easy during the adjustment, and we won't all pick up certain
lessons right away or be amazing at them for the rest of our lives. But
living with blindness is possible, and not just a shadowy, mere
reflection of our former lives, but a vibrant, full, active version of
our life. It's all about acceptance and choices.

BTW, you use the word buggy, are you not from America?

Bridgit