[stylist] Poem: Autumn plans

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Thu Nov 27 14:48:33 UTC 2014

Hi chelsea,
I wanted to respond to your question but it took me a few days to get back
to it.
I wrote an  essay on this topic recently and have not yet published it as I
am still revising it. But, here is where I am with it right now - it is for
publication on a blog later this week.  I am going to do a bit more research
on it and put some visuals with it for the blog but in the meanwhile this
may help you a little.  It is certainly a great question. I think it is the
most important question that can be asked.  I outlined, here, what I believe
to be my top considerations - seven of them - when writing a poem.

***
Lynda McKinney Lambert’s
7    Revision Rules for Editing  Your Poem

ONE:
Here is my first thought on this topic:  I often think of inspired advice
that Beat Poet, Allen Ginsberg, introduced   into my consciousness  when I
was a teenager  in high school. He said something like this, “First thought,
best thought.”  OH, that caught my attention!

I have often tried to read his work and imagine that it might be his first
(best) thought. But, I wonder about that! I do like the idea, though it
opens the door for the production of a lot of unedited, immature poets to
publish some really bad stuff that will come back to bite them later on.
But, then, a lot of insipid poetry is out there, too, and it has been edited
to death and it is still quite bad.  So, my feeling is that you can look
over the poem you just wrote and ask, “Is this my BEST thought?” If it is
your best thought, and it was your FIRST thought, then maybe it’s ok as it
is.  I think your own inner critic can best guide you in deciding what to do
next with the poem. The trick is that you learn to sit quietly long enough,
and listen with your inner guide to know for sure what it might be saying to
you.

TWO:
Read your poem over and then over again – several times.  Are you hearing
any words or lines that are not important to what you intend to convey in
the poem.  For me, less is more, and I get out my metaphorical scissor to do
some cutting.  I can be ruthless, whacking out entire phrases or even entire
quatrains if they don’t fit my idea of what I mean to say with this poem.
What is the essence, or core, of this poem? Look close until you find the
structure that holds it together. Well, I hope you do have some structure
there to hold it together. If not, it will collapse in the editing process.

is probably the only place where you can intentionally use repetition,
though, for maximum effect. When you do this, of course, you are being
didactic and you are forcing your reader to dwell on a particular word or
phrase – so ask, “Is this what I intended to do?”

THREE:
Take your time writing the poem.
You do not need to  “get’er done”  in one day.  You can take weeks, months,
and years, in developing the poem if you need to do that.  No need to rush.
You might not yet have all the information you will need to proceed. You
might have to do lots more reading; lots more growing; lots more silent
meditation, until it all comes together for you. Be patient with the
poem.ead your poem again and this time, listen to see what the mood is that
you have created. You will find this happening within the first two or three
lines – pay close attention – can you identify the mood there?

FOUR:
Avoid being a copy-cat writer.
Ask:  "Does this sound like I speak?"Or is it someone else’s voice you hear
when you begin the poem? Write exactly as you would speak. If you don’t use
all those words in your everyday life, then they do not belong in your poem.
Cut them out!

FIVE:
Is the choice of form you selected the best form for this poem.
Are you trying to force your end words into a rhyme scheme – if so, you will
box yourself in, grab for words that rhyme instead of reaching for the words
that give emotional impact.   Maybe what you really want to say does not fit
well with a quatrain form, or a haiku, or sonnet. Maybe you need to be more
creative in how you are putting together your picture in the poem.
Don’t be afraid to try it in several ways before you find what fits best.
You may even find that what you thought would be a poem, really turned out
to be a short story or even a prose poem. Don’t be afraid to follow the flow
and see where this creative work wants to take you.

SIX:
Choose a theme that is familiar to you?  And, then do a lot of research to
gain even more insight into your topic.  Write about what you know. For the
poem to have a “truth” to it, the poet must write about what she knows
intimately from her own world experiences.  What is your passion?  This is
the key ingredient for the success of your poem.

SEVEN:
Examine the Visual layout of your poem.
This final tip is what makes your poem a QUEEN!
The poem is a visual layout of a collection of words. Don’t forget that the
poem has a “look” to it as well as “sound.”
You want to think of it as a sculpture – it will be viewed from different
dimensions, and perspectives.   Examine your line lengths and think about
how they all look when viewed together on the page. You want to be
consistent – watch the lengths of the lines because they help to create the
content of your poem.  This is my final tip, but in many ways, I believe
that this particular aspect is what can make or break the success of your
writing.

Remember, your poem will be situated on a page – in a book, we hope! The
page borders become the frame in which your poem will be on display to the
world. I like to think of a poem as having a presence on the page exactly as
the Mona Lisa has a presence in her frame as she sits in the museum.  A poem
is a work of art, after all.

Note:  The Allen Ginsberg Project, where you can find all things Allen
Ginsberg.  http://allenginsberg.org/#!/

***

Lynda McKinney lambert. Copyright, 2014. All rights reserved.