[stylist] Dealing with frustration memories!

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 22:49:25 UTC 2015

Michael,
You raise an interesting subject which unfortunately has as many answers as
there are blind people. A few points occur to me. First, as blind people we
have the same mix of abilities to deal with emotions as the general public;
people have different temperaments, different beliefs about expressing
feelings, different sets of consequences that we have experienced for
expressing strong emotions, different philosophies about the proper way to
handle situations and different basic physiological make-upps. We all have
to deal with blindness on a fundamental emotional and spiritual level from a
place that is unique to us, and I believe we should not be so quick to
either condemn someone else for not doing as well as we think they should be
doing or to assume that there is a one-size-fits-all approach to the
problem.

While I agree with the idea that sighted people have things that push their
buttons, and I envy anyone who truly can put it all in a box and come up
with the idea that blind people don't differ from the general public in
having anger issues all that much, I find that explanation doesn't work very
well for me. Prejudice is piled on in addition to all of the normal things
that can push a person over the edge. Unlike people who experience prejudice
because of their inclusion in racial, ethnic or religious groups, blind
people do not have the benefit of being geographically and physically
surrounded in their day-to-day worlds by others who can understand,
intelligently counsel and comfort them. The only other group which deals
with this type of isolation within the core groups to which we should all
naturally belong are gays. Though gay kids experience many of the horrors of
bullying and isolation like blind and visually impaired kids do, they
ultimately seem to be more efficient at seeking out others like themselves.

As for your question about the value of adaptive skills in helping you deal
with your anger, I will say this. If the anger is based upon your inability
to move forward into a successful, independent and happy life without sight
in which you see yourself as fundamentally equal as the sighted people in
your world, then, yes, blindness skills can help. It is a challenge to feel
worthy and independent if you cannot independently perform the skills of
daily living and move forward on your chosen path (and not as a second-rate
alternative). If you have a nagging sense that you are simply "faking it,"
let that be a guide to you and get on a path to master the skills that any
adult (regardless of their sight) should be capable of. When you find
yourself giving credence to the idea that this or that activity or goal is
no longer possible because of your blindness, stop yourself and make sure
you are not misinformed. I am routinely shocked that so many intelligent,
blind people have no idea about the many fields of employment and leisure
activity which are open to them.

That said, there are other factors. People (and most blind people fall into
this category) who grow up fully sighted and who are normally integrated
into family, school, community life, who then lose their sight, also often
lose much of their stature within the social structures they were integrated
into. This is problematic and difficult to deal with on a long-term basis.
Most people don't ever have to deal with anything like the rejection,
humiliation and ongoing despair that many blind people face. When the
recession hit in 2009, many "normal" people found themselves thrust from
the essence of their daily lives, their professions, coworkers,
neighborhoods, friends and even families when they lost their jobs and
homes. Many had no way of dealing with it, no experience with moving on from
such a loss. They found it difficult, even when it lasted for less than a
year.

Many blind people spend their whole lives trying to break through an
invisible wall of prejudice. To their credit, some develop enough internal
strength to weather the situation with a minimal destruction of their hearts
and souls and often with below average financial resources. The stress of
having to tackle such a task cannot be overstated. I personally think the
sighted world could learn a lot about perseverance, and many other good
virtues from blind people who have pursued the good fight instead of giving
in to the pervasive public opinion that we simply can't expect much and
should learn to stay in our place, accept the help and kindness of others
and give up on our longing for success and independence.

Another issue comes when a person grows up in the gray world between
blindness and sight. It is not uncommon for people in this situation to have
only marginal grounding in  society. Families, church communities, schools,
etc.  are notoriously unsupportive, contributing to denial of blindness and
actively working against a nonvisual approach to education. Unlike the
people who grew up fully sighted, they do not have a memory of being
included, accepted, etc. This is not necessarily easier or harder, but
simply different.
Donna