[stylist] the Gloss Poem

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 21:09:38 UTC 2015

Here's what I found in the dictionary of poetic terms and also online about gloss poetry. It seems a bit obscure:

This is the only reference to the word gloss in the Dictionary of Poetic Terms. I also searched for it by it's other names (glosa, glose, etc.):

gloss (from Greek for "language, tongue," or "a word needing explanation") notes of translation, interpretation, or explanation inserted between the words or in the margins of a text. The practice arose primarily in trans¬lated works in which Latin Scholars commented upon Greek works, and, in turn, Medieval scholars commented upon Latin texts. Eventually, it became common for editors and scholars to comment on texts in their own language, and for writers to add marginalia to their own books, as in the case of Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner. A popular, pejorative meaning of the term connotes the oversummarizing or misinterpretation of a work. See reductive fallacy.

Websites:

http://popularpoetryforms.blogspot.com/2013/03/glosa-glose-or-gloss.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloss_(annotation)

http://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/gloss