[stylist] BH cinquain

Jackie Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Mon Aug 10 16:42:54 UTC 2015

Barbara,
Here is your cinquain. An improvement over your first draft.

A DILEMMA
by Barbara Hammel

What's wrong
With a two-faced
Person is you're never
For certain with which face you are
Speaking.

Here is what I might do.

A DILEMMA
by Barbara Hammel

What's wrong
with a two-faced
person? You never know
for certain with which face you are
speaking.

What I did, Barbara was to get rid of one of the contractions, change the
first character in most lines to small letters, and to add the word "know."
If you are entering an Adelaide Crapsey cinquain contest, they will probably
insist on iambic meter.
Even many of hers were not consistently iambic. Many of mine are also not.
It all depends on the judge.
Please, accept my changes as just a suggestion. Sometimes a contraction is
necessary because of the restricted length. Enjambment instead of
capitalizing each line is the accepted practice, though every line
capitalization is coming back in some circles.
For a poet, it is always her or his choice. This work is yours, through and
through, and your interest shows that you truly like in depth critiquing. It
gives a background for your choices.

Jackie Lee

Time is the school in which we learn.
Time is the fire in which we burn.