[stylist] Poem - "Frogs" - Finalish Draft

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 13:54:42 UTC 2015

Good Morning, Droogies,

I wrote this a little while ago, but hadn't posted it until now. This
one's still kind of painful, as it refers to an event from my teen years
which I have yet to llive down entirely.  I feel pretty good about this
one, as it's gone through many drafts and I've finally punched it into a
shape I can bear without wincing.  As always, your mileage may vary.

--Bill

---

*Frogs *

Small as infant toes, the frogs

enlivened smiling sandss, so close

to oceans helix deep. They swarmed the grains,

that hopper tribe, like Greeks

besieging Troy, though not so fierce.

and Then come  I:

an anguished boy enshrilled

by growing-juice, and infant slights

and rage, that demon muse.

I plowed them down,  that day of wrath,

bestormed those tiny lives,and neither grieved,

nor prayed, nor wept a blackened tear.

I've staggered years this infant crime

while Friends suggest I'm clean and not so lost:

and yet I bear a holocaust.

--

"Oh, Sophie!  Whyfore have you eated all de cheeldren?"