[stylist] I-Pad VS Tablet Wondering if anyone knows

Edward Green ergreen1981 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 18:36:59 UTC 2015

Hi,

It depends a bit on how you want to use it and what you want to use it for.

If you want to use it the way the majority of people use a tablet, I.E. using the touch screen and primarily using the device for content consumption perhaps with some short composition such as text messages or emails, then get an iPad.  It has the smoothest touch screen interface for a blind person to use in my opinion, though Android has its advocates.

On the other hand, if you envisage the tablet partially or completely replacing your laptop and intend to write quite a lot on it, then I’d go down the Windows route.  While Aleeha is right in that the in-built accessibility is inferior on Windows, you can install a fully fledged screen reader.  However, even with a screen reader installed, the touch screen support isn’t great on a Windows tablet and you’re better off installing an external keyboard.  In contrast, an external keyboard is less useful on an iPad as Apple haven’t included that many hotkeys in the iPad’s operating system, iOS, meaning it is less productive for heavy composition/creation.

Budget may also be a factor.  An iPad will be the equivalent of a mid range Windows tablet.

Cheers,

Ed