[stylist] One Poet's Woe

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 12:28:17 UTC 2015

Hey Friends,

Just wanted to pass on an experience here.  I'd been working on a new
poem for the last hour.  It was more like an exercise, which sometimes
launches into a real walking talking poem.  But this morning, that's not
how it worked out.  I got down to about line 7 or so, took a look at the
whole thing and decided it was a spoiled confection of some sort, and
threw it back into the kiln, to mix metaphors. I have a sort of long
term game in which I measure my private success as a poet by the slowly
ascending number of poems in my poetry folder.  But adding to the score
is not to be this morning, iambic fans.  I got down to the last line,
took a look at it and just torched it.  I got a few good rhymes out of
it and some notions for a poem about breezes, so I'll come back to the
theme. But as for this iteration?  Burn, witch, burn!

--Bill

--

"Oh, Sophie!  Whyfore have you eated all de cheeldren?"