[stylist] One Poet's Woe

Jacobson, Shawn D Shawn.D.Jacobson at hud.gov
Mon Jul 20 15:08:07 UTC 2015

Hey!

At least you've got stuff to burn.

I'm stuck poetry wise (grin).

Shawn

-----Original Message-----
From: stylist [mailto:stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of William L Houts via stylist
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2015 8:28 AM
To: Writer's Division Mailing List
Cc: William L Houts
Subject: [stylist] One Poet's Woe

Hey Friends,

Just wanted to pass on an experience here.  I'd been working on a new poem for the last hour.  It was more like an exercise, which sometimes launches into a real walking talking poem.  But this morning, that's not how it worked out.  I got down to about line 7 or so, took a look at the whole thing and decided it was a spoiled confection of some sort, and threw it back into the kiln, to mix metaphors. I have a sort of long term game in which I measure my private success as a poet by the slowly ascending number of poems in my poetry folder.  But adding to the score is not to be this morning, iambic fans.  I got down to the last line, took a look at it and just torched it.  I got a few good rhymes out of it and some notions for a poem about breezes, so I'll come back to the theme. But as for this iteration?  Burn, witch, burn!

--Bill

--

"Oh, Sophie!  Whyfore have you eated all de cheeldren?"