[stylist] SAS City (a sonnet for Cary NC)

Jackie Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Fri Jul 24 17:44:00 UTC 2015

Shawn,
This was a difficult effort to put so much technical information into such a
strict form. My inclination is for you not  to call it a sonnet , and just
try to smooth it out a bit. For instance, the line, " And so SAS city due
respect we'll pay," is an inversion used so that you can hold the rhyme
scheme. One or two more lines have only 9 syllables, and the iambic  meter
is not consistently produced in each line. This does not make it a bad poem,
only that the content might be shown off better in a more freeform of poetry
I learned something. I thought SAS was just a brand of shoe produced in
Texas, and known nationwide for it's comfort, or alternatively, an SASE is
an envelope you include when you want to get an answer to something! I
enjoyed learning the new terminology, and it gave a bit of insight into your
profession
My guess is that your effort at doing this poem as a sonnet will give you a
giant leap forward in the craft of poetry. Only by trying new forms do we
increase our knowledge and skill at the demands of the myriad forms of
poetry. So congratulations..

Jackie Lee

Time is the school in which we learn.
Time is the fire in which we burn.