[stylist] Weekly Writing Challenge

Vejas Vasiliauskas alpineimagination at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 04:32:29 UTC 2015

These have all been great! I think we should do this every week
because it takes off the pressure of having to be all proper and
correct.
Ten minutes with spell-check, and I decided to use the
man-woman-restaurant theme as well.  I also stopped mid-sentence
because the time was up, and I don't even know how I would have
ended this last sentence!

The couple sat at the table behind us with their three children,
but pretended that their children weren't there as they began to
discuss what they wanted to discuss.  Their accents determined
that they were from Britain.  The man's voice was rather loud,
while the woman's was much softer.
"I want to have another child," the man said.  "It's been
thirteen years.  I want a son who likes boy things."
"And what are you going to do if it's a girl, Harry?"
"It can't be a girl!"
"You don't understand.  The last pregnancies I had were very
tough.  And what's to say that he will still like girly things?"
Their pizza comes and they eat it, pretending not to notice each
other.
"I'd like to go to prom," their daughter, who was about 16, said.
"I really want to be asked."
"I hope that you don't get asked," her father replied.  "It's too
expensive!"
This man really wanted to argue about anything and everything.
"What did you do about YOUR prom?" the girl spat.  "Surely your
parents didn't give the excuse of "It's too expensive! That's the
stupidest excuse I've ever heard!"
"As a matter of fact," her father said, "my dad said prom was too
expensive, and I said nothing.  I would have been a fool to say
anything." Then turning to his son.  "You really need to play
baseball this year."
"I don't want to!"
"You're a boy! Boys play baseball!"
One by one, the man watched as all of his relations left their
foods uneaten and went back to the area they were staying at.  He
had always known his social skills were poor, but didn't know the
first thing about how to start a proper conversation.  His
parents had always said he was hopeless at starting up a
conversation of any kind that didn't have anything to do with
sports.
He wasn't crazy enough to talk to himself, so he just sat there
not knowing what to do.
He had always felt good arguing about something and having the
upper hand.  Too many times, he had not argued as a child and
never got what he wanted.  So having the upper hand made him feel
good.  It didn't help that he had two daughters who were
headstrong.  But his wife was weak, and he knew that he could get
his son to play baseball because his son hardly ever argued back.
Reluctantly, he headed home.  He didn't know what
Vejas