[stylist] Poem - "Oz" - Secondish Draft

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 21:18:56 UTC 2015

Hi Blinks,

Here's the first poem I've written in several weeks.  I think it's
readable, maybe a little better even than that.  I've spent a couple of
hours on it
today, and may yet spend another few.  But I think it might have legs
enough to get off its Frankenstein table and walk around a bit, maybe
throw a little
girl or two into the lake.  Your mileage may vary.  Comments welcome, as
always.

--Bill

---

Oz

Not your stale film buff frames,
the stuff which always gets mentioned in Garland powwows.
The Lollipop Guild, the Lullabye League, the fallen house
and the witch beneath it,her comic awful feet
protruding like blackest slapstick.
What gets me are moments telling tiny,
like witch's double take, her frightened skyward glance
when Glinda hints, loopy light,
it's raining witch hating houses.
Or the flight of buzzard monkeys, nightmare soaked,
how one captures Toto,and springs into the air,
a kite, convincing wingwise high.
And the red brick road entwined, a skein of fate,
with the yellow, the road for witches past their melting,
the ones who wander marvelous to croak
their cosmic plea:  ah, what a world, what a world!

--

"Oh, Sophie!  Whyfore have you eated all de cheeldren?"

--

"Oh, Sophie!  Whyfore have you eated all de cheeldren?"