[stylist] Short Piece, "Inner Rebellion"

Vejas Vasiliauskas alpineimagination at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 13:24:46 UTC 2016

Hi,
This is not really a short story-much shorter than that-and
although the main character and family situation are different to
mine, I was somewhat similar.  Just curious if anyone could
relate.
Inner Rebellion
by Vejas Vasiliauskas
My name is Clive.  I'm 17 years old and I'm your worst nightmare.
Well, I could be.
I'm not the typical teen rebel.  I'm not the kind who smokes,
parties and takes drugs every night.  The fight is inside of me,
but just be lucky I keep my mouth shut.
They ask me to wash the dishes, and I'll do it with a smile.  In
reality, however, I'm really annoyed: I'd rather be reading my
book, or going online, or doing anything.  As I continue on with
the dishes, mentally cursing their very existence, my smile grows
wider.  I don't want to make it difficult for them.  When they
see what I've done they smile and say, "You're awevers,
Clive-thanks." Well, the praise was worth it.
Yesterday our Disneyworld trip for next week got cancelled,
because my dad needed the money to fund a business trip he was
taking.  My younger sisters, 10 and 8, cried and cried and cried.
I was probably more heartbroken than even they were, having never
been there in 17 years.  But instead, with the biggest smile I
could muster, I said, "It's no problem, we'll have other years to
do it."
You're so adaptable, they said.
This has been my life all the time.  Just be glad I will never
give you an ounce of trouble.  You decide: worst nightmare?