[stylist] Story, "Help is On the Way"

Vejas Vasiliauskas alpineimagination at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 19:38:51 UTC 2016

Hi All,
I really would like to get back to writing, so I have written the
following piece, which I have attached as a Word document and
will hopefully go into the email.
This is a very rough draft.  Any constructive criticism would be
appreciated "as well as positive ones, obviously).  I feel that
the potential main issue with this story is that I have made too
much effort to prove a specific point about the center that is
the main focus of this piece.
Enjoy!
Vejas
Help Is On the Way

by Vejas Vasiliauskas
Prologue
My name is Fiona Itube.  I'm 18 years old, and I live in
Montpelier, Vermont.  I have been blind all my life, but beyond
getting good grades in school, expectations weren't that
important to my parents.  People all throughout my school career
were always willing to let me hold their hands; my cane was
always in my other hand, though I admit that I never learned to
use it.
I was indifferent to receiving blindness training, and so were my
parents.  It was really my teacher for the visually impaired,
Ellie, who insisted I go.  I thought she was a nutty radical, but
I applied for the Department of Rehab so that I could get into
the Better Blind training center.
But I never knew what blindness training was, until I met Maddie
Maddox.
Chapter 1
My start date was September 27.  My parents helped me set up.  I
take that back, they set up for me, while I Whats-apped my best
friend, Fern Allow.  Fern and I were supposed to have spent the
summer together and all that, but then her parents decided that
it would be really fun in Italy, so that's where they decided to
go.
After my parents finished unpacking me, they hugged me.
"Welove you so much," Dad said.  "Let us know if you need
anything."
"See if there's anyone you want to meet outside," Mom suggested.
"You should bring your cane, it will probably make you look
better."
I grabbed my cane and, sure enough, I didn't have to go far.  A
girl walked up to me.
"Hi, I'm Francesca, call me Frankie," she said, but her tone of
voice sounded cold.  Finally she asked, "Is that a stick?"
"Yes, it is," I explained, "but we call it a cane."
"Oh." She huffed.  "These.  So, you mean, you're totally blind."
"So?"
"Well," she said hesitantly, "I will explain this because you are
new, but typically we don't regard you kind of people very well."
"Will I get bullied?"
"Not really bullied per se, but we're supposed to have one and
it's quite a job.  I'm yours.  Whenever we have to go anywhere, I
need to hold your hand to take you there.
"And also, we do have to use these things, but we call them
sticks.  Canes, we consider way too radical."
Chapter 2
I got really used to the way of life at the center.  I learned
and understood that, as a totally blind person, I would never be
altogether too successful.  We were told our center's welcome
sign over and over again.
Help Is on the Way For Blind People
What to Do to Get a Sighted Person's Attention
1.  Look lost, even if you know where you're going.
2.  Smile, always smile.  Maybe you will charm a sighted person
into giving you a job.
3.  Accept the fact that this will always be your life.
We were also told that in a few years, surgery would allow us to
gain sight and lead a better life.
Chapter 2
"Honey, I'm so, so sorry," Lesley Clockhammer, the director of
the blindness center, told me as she looked at my apartment.  She
looked around.  "Did Maggie clean your apartment?"
"Yes, she did," I said, "but I spilled grape juice all over and
didn't know what to do."
"Oh, that's OK," Lesley laughed.  "I'll call her right now to get
back and clean it up.  If I don't, we could have some problems."
She sighed.  "Anyway, I'm so sorry but you are going to be
getting a new roommate in a couple of hours.  Her name is Maddie
Maddox and she is from St.  Albans, Vermont.  I know people like
to have their privacy.  I'm so, so sorry."
Maddie impressed me from the start.  For starters, she didn't
come with her parents.  Lesley and Maggie, the cleaner, fussed
all over her.
"Nope, I can do it myself," Maddie said over, and over, and over
again.
When they finally left, Maddie came over to my room.
"How's life here, Fiona?" she asked me.
"It's fine, I guess.  For a blindness training center."
"I really wanted to go to Ruston, Louisiana for the Louisiana
Center for the Blind," Maddie explained.  "But my Department of
Rehabilitation absolutely insistedon no.  My dad is friends with
Lesley Clockhammer's husband, and they said I could come here for
free! I hope that I at least can have some great experiences."
It didn't look like it.  Later, as the day progressed, I saw that
there was very little that could satisfy Maddie Maddox.
"No," she insisted to her mentor, Davina.  "I don't need any
help, thank you very much! I can walk to the dining hall all by
myself."
"With this stick thing?"
"Yes, it's called a cane," Maddie said, "and it's here to help
me.  Do you have any sight?"
"Some," Davina said meekly.
"I find it helps me and it should help you too," explained
Maddie.  "That certainly beats stumbling around."
Davina retreated.
"I got what I wanted!" Maddie was happy.  "Fiona, you need to
tell your mentor person similarly."
"I'm too scared to."
"Oh, come on, girl, you need to learn to speak up for yourself."
"Frankie," I said when she came by for dinner, "I would like to
use my cane from now on.  Thank you for being my mentor."
"Suit yourself," she said and walked off.
"See? It was easy!" Maddie cheered.  "Let's go for dinner!"
Chapter 3
Julia Spinner, the kitchen instructor, came into our apartment at
10 for kitchen class.  I was still sleeping.
"You missed breakfast," she said.  "No worries, though.  Do you
want some privacy to change, or would you like me to dress you?"
>From the kitchen, Maddie snickered.
"I'll dress myself, thanks," I said.
"Cool.  I have a spinach cheddar bake for you to make."
"Spinach and cheddar is awesome!" Maddie said.  She was writing
out an ingredients list for the center's grocery store on a
large, old-fashioned typewriter-like machine.  "I love helping my
mom make spinach quiche!"
Julia laughed.  "Oh, that's the funniest thing I've heard all
day! No, you're supposed to put it in the oven for 45 minutes."
"Got it," I said.
 "Just curious," Maddie said, "but what are you having Fiona do
for the next 45 minutes?"
"The waiting game," Julia explained patiently.  "As a blind
person, you need to learn to spend more time waiting and less on
your mobile devices."
Chapter 4
"I'm disgusted with this center!" Maddie ranted and raved that
night.  "If I didn't have any self-motivation, I don't think I'd
be anywhere! I was hoping that I could help others in a positive
way, and, Fiona, you have come such a long way.  But I guess
not."
Maddie had been lectured by Lesley Clockhammer that she was
"overdoing it", and "expressing a form of free thinking which
served as a threat to the center." But then Maddie calked down.
"I'm going to get permission to go to the National Federation of
the Blind convention in Orlando this year," she twittered
excitedly.  "I have always gone to them, and they are amazing! I
learn so much?"
"How are you going to do that?" I asked.  You needed a day pass
to go anywhere.
"Both of my grandparents are conviently going to die that day,"
Maddie explained, "so I have no option but to go to their
funeral.  That's actually what my grandparent suggested.  There's
no other way I can think of that the center would let me go."
"Don't you feel strange ly-?was
"You gotta do what you gotta do." Maddie sighed.  "But I can't
believe that this is a 9-month program, and the convention is not
for another 7."
"Tell me more about this NFB."
So that's what we talked about all night.  This organization
wasn't full of crazy radicals; they actually wanted more
expectations of blind students so that they could live a happy
and fulfilled lifestyle.
Chapter 5
A month later, and I was even closer to Maddie.  On the outside,
we did what was required: hold our mentors' hands and, in my
case, that of my new mentor Caroline-thank God Frankie graduated.
But on the outside, we did what we could.  We split the money to
buy pots, pans and other everyday uses for the kitchen, so that
we could cook for ourselves.  We cleaned and cleaned and cleaned,
so much so that Maggie had nothing to do.  One day she told us
that she hated this job, that she knew students could do much
better, but coming to our apartment made her day.
It was an ordinary Saturday night when I was woken up by my phone
vibrating to signalize a text from Maddie.
"Hi Fiona it's me.  I have decided to leave.  I just can't take
it anymore.  I am going to fight for the Louisiana Center for the
Blind and while I wait, I will do what I can.  Good luck.  Talk
to me anytime."
And at that point I knew what to do.  I pulled out my suitcases
and began to pack them.
The End