[stylist] Story, "Help is On the Way"

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 13:41:26 UTC 2016

Vejas,

Good beginning here. This has potential and is a good rough draft.

When writing to make a point, you don't want to come off as lecturing. Two
of the best ways to accomplish this are to one, create great, well-rounded,
three-dimensional characters. Make them come alive on the page, people
readers can relate too. And two, show don't tell. Instead of telling us
about this center or the NFB or the way blind people are treated, create
scenes depicting those moments. This will have more power and sway over a
reader, and it won't feel like pontificating. For example, don't tell us
what Fiona and Maggie go through, show us, put us in the moment, creating
scenes. Let readers be led by actions and not told what is right and wrong.

Just like in real life, we can tell people how capable blind people are, but
it's through our actions, living our lives that we make the most impact.

But good rough draft. Glad to see you writing again.

Bridgit