[stylist] Plot and Character Development

David Russell david.sonofhashem at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 18:41:39 UTC 2017

Hello Writers,

I am glad Chris responded to my post. You raise something very
insightful that I am only beginning to benefit. I too am a member of
an online critique group and am getting to know the regular critiquers
and their styles. In away, I know who my fans are as it were and who
the nitpickers are, and it's usually the nitpickers who first respond.
The rules are such though that if you critique me, it is almost
anticipated I am going to critique you. I have not always chosen to
comply for various reasons. So, over the couple years, I have lost a
couple critiquers.

It takes time to be a judge of the feedback of others. I think that is
what you are saying in between the lines. If so, we agree, amen and
amen.
 That is what I'm saying. Read their writings too and their foibles
are perhaps blatant as well. Or, they are someone you can assuredly
learn from!

At first, I did not read the critiques others received because I felt
it was none of my business. Now I do as a member of the group, and of
course, keep it confidential while learning at the same time. Of
course, I read the random story and offered my critiques too. Mine
were usually to clarify what something meant.

Last month Mr. Nitpicker roasted me over the coals whereas toward the
end of the month, a couple others gently told me what to edit and
questioned a couple areas that truly needed questioning after all. I
guess the lesson here is encapsulated in a phrase, - all critiques
considered.

If a review rocks our boat, something is truly amiss. Thanks!

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem at gmail.com
"chilah phanim" Make G-d smile!