[Stylist] Food for Thought: NFB Literature for a Younger Audience

Tina Hansen th404 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 15 02:08:48 UTC 2019

I wanted to get something out there for everyone to think about.

I have been enjoying our NFB literature for a good number of years, ever
since I joined the organization in 1992. I joined as an adult, and am now
rediscovering the richness of our literature.

This got me thinking. We have summer youth programs, such as BELL and the
programs at our training centers. We also have our student division.

But I've been wondering: Is there a need for someone to articulate our
philosophy in a way that a younger peJust some thoughts. Any comments?
Thanks.rson, such as a student in elementary or middle school, can relate to
it? Has anyone written or recorded anything targeted at this group? Is it
necessary, or is our literature enough as it is?

I know these days we hear the phrase, "kid-friendly," tossed around. My
working on this Apollo 11 narrative over the past months got me thinking
about this. What does it take for something to be accessible to a younger
audience, but also good for adults like us? Is there a need for a version of
our one-minute message using language that a young person, such as an
elementary or middle school student, would find familiar? Is there a need
for "kid-friendly" literature?

I think of the single blind student in a public school who needs blind
mentors and role models. While the parents, if they have any sense at all,
may have sought us out, what if they haven't yet? I also know that the
younger generation is incredibly tech-savvy. If they happen on our web site,
they may or may not stay, depending on their age. Some may be interested,
but as with anything, some would want to hear our philosophy articulate by
their pears.

Once the student reaches high school, I'd think they'd have no difficulty
with our literature, but it could be a bit of a challenge for elementary and
middle school students.

I know my assumptions may be flawed. If that's the case, I admit that right
here and now. However, I did want to ask the question. Yet I also know kids
like greater interactivity. Is a blog or a Facebook page good enough?